What Is Longevity?
Human lifespan is the maximum number of years an individual from the human species can live based on observed examples. Lifespan holds for all living humans.
Life expectancy refers to an estimate or an average number of years a person can expect to live. It’s affected by personal factors like your family history, your environment, your diet, and even your age and sex. US average life expectancy is about 79, according to the National Center for Health Statistics.
Social Security states:
- A man reaching age 65 today can expect to live, on average, until age 84.0.
- A woman turning age 65 today can expect to live, on average, until age 84.6.
- About one out of every three 65-year-olds today will live past age 90, and about one out of seven will live past age 95.
What Is Longevity Planning?
Longevity planning focuses on helping you make the most of the years left to you by taking the long view where your finances are concerned, beyond the first few years of retirement.
Why Is Longevity Planning Important?
It’s about taking a close look at the resources you may need to maintain quality of life, such as healthcare beyond age 65, transportation, home healthcare services, assisted living or arranging aging-in-place renovations for your home, protection against financial fraud, and other aspects.
- As you get older, changes in your health could mean less independence.
- Shifts in your abilities and mobility could affect your ability to get to things and activities you enjoy.
- Your social circle will likely shrink.
As with our other services, we implement the plan we developed in earlier steps. If parts of it need to be addressed by other specialties, we bring in the appropriate resources to handle them and/or work with your other advisors as needed.
Depending on your needs, the plan may be implemented all at once or in stages.
The key to successful longevity is ongoing monitoring and adjustment. We work with you to talk regularly, as needed. We are always available to you in-between those reviews as well.